We are currently looking for a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees to help guide us and advise us on financial concerns. We are looking for someone who would like to make a difference in the lives of young people and families. There is a requirement for the Trustees to attend quarterly Board meetings and the option to attend quarterly sub groups. We are looking for someone with senior experience within financial controls with a background knowledge of the charitable sector, pensions and legal requirements but this is not essential.
To oversee the financial matters of the charity and to ensure that the work of Motiv8 is carried out in a legal and safe way, through decision making and supporting the Chief Executive.
SPECIFIC STATUTORY DUTIES AS TRUSTEE
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure that the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To protect and manage the assets of the charity and to ensure the proper use and investment of the charity’s funds.
- If the charity employs staff, to appoint the Chief Executive and to monitor his/her performance.
- To use individual specific skills, knowledge and experiences to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
This may involve:
• Leading discussions
• Focusing on key issues
• Providing guidance on new initiatives
• Other issues in which trustee has special expertise
- To attend all board meetings and ensure full preparation by scrutinising board papers and completing any actions required.
- To engage with, at least, one of the Sub Groups. The present sub groups are:
- To oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure that they are legal and within accepted accounting practice.
- To work with the Chief Executive and the Finance team to ensure that proper records are kept and effective financial procedures are in place
- To oversee the monitoring and reporting of the financial health of the organisation, alongside the Chief Executive and Finance team and to advise on financial implications of changes to the Business plan.
- To support the Chief Executive and Finance team in the production of all necessary financial reports, returns, accounts or audits, attending meetings with auditors as needed.
- To be instrumental in the development and implementation of financial reserves and investment policies.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc)
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies, in conjunction with the Chief Executive
- Lead on appointing auditors annually
- Contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation, liaising with the Chief Executive and the Fundraising Manager.
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management
- Good financial analysis skills
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Nolan’s seven principles of public life: Selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to Motiv8
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Have good strategic vision
- The ability to think creatively
- Good, independent judgement
- Willingness to express views and opinions openly
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Accounting qualification (ACCA,ACA, CCAB) Desirable