Are you someone who is able to enthuse, inspire and empower young people? Do you have previous or lived experience of supporting young people who may be vulnerable or at risk? Can you work collaboratively with others? Do you have excellent communication skills? Are you creative, committed and adaptable, with the motivation to make a difference? If the answer is yes, we would love to hear from you.
About the role
Position Title: Youth Project Volunteer
Location: Youth arts and media centre, Falcon Meadow Way, Gosport
Hours: Thursday, 5.30pm – 8.30pm
What is the role?
Motiv8 is a vibrant local youth charity, which supports young people and their families. Our work takes place in the heart of the community, with teams based in Portsmouth, Havant, Gosport and Fareham. Motiv8 teams deliver a range of free services including; family support, youth mentoring, wellbeing provision, targeted group work, youth clubs, detached street based youth work, employability support and alternative learning. Our vision is to create safer communities where young people feel inspired and empowered to reach their potential, and thrive.
We are looking for Volunteers with a passion for supporting young people and families to join our vibrant community based teams. The successful candidate will be part of a community team offering a varied programme of activities and opportunities to support young people’s personal, social and emotional development
What does a day in the life of this role look like?
As a Volunteer, you will be supporting a wide variety of activities with young people and families. You will be part of a community team offering a varied programme of activities and opportunities to support young people’s personal, social and emotional development. Activities may include one to one support work, targeted group work (planning overseeing and delivering youth provision), community and social enterprise work (through street based detached and outreach provision alongside evening youth hubs) alongside providing youth participation activities.
You will be part of a team supporting a busy local youth hub based in the heart of the Alver Valley. You will be supporting a Lead Worker and two Support Workers working directly with young people, aged 13-19. Your role will be to primarily build positive relationships with young people that attend the centre. This could involve chatting with them about their week, playing games, setting up activities and even a bit of table tennis or sport! You will also be asked to support with the set-up of sessions, helping staff with the session activities, preparing food and drinks and then taking part in the debrief after the session. The de-brief is where the team get together and discuss the session, any idea for forward planning and opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have.
What to expect:
Your work will be varied but you will be part of a strong and vibrant team. You will work under the management of the Services Manager Gosport, Victoria Llewelyn, to build positive relationships with the young people attending the centre
The hours of this volunteer role are between 5.30pm and 8.30pm, on Thursdays, but we will endeavour to work around you and your availability.
What we are looking for
- Passion for supporting and empowering young people and families
- Creativity and solution focused thinking
- Respectful, honesty and integrity
- Ability to be adaptable, approachable and flexible
- High commitment to continuous professional practice and to continually look for ways to improve
- Be able to learn from experiences
- Be able to work collaboratively
Motiv8 is committed to equal opportunities, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate for the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
We would welcome applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including:
- black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
- those who identify as LGBTQ+
those living with a disability
What we offer:
It would not be possible to run our activities for young people and families without the help our incredible volunteers, giving their time skills and expertise to support the work that we do. We know that volunteers are motivated to join us for a variety of reasons from using their time positively to learning new skills. In joining us on our team. You will be supporting a vibrant organization and you will gain a wide variety of experience and skills, all whilst making a difference.
Volunteering with us is:
- Flexible – you give us the time you are able to
- Sociable – you will meet people from all walks of life and make new connections
- Useful – you will develop new skills and gain valuable experience
- Rewarding – you know that the time you can give will have an impact on the clients that we work with, helping to increase their life chances.
In return for your hard work, we offer:
- A comprehensive training package, to provide you with personal and professional development and to support your continuous professional development
- Thorough induction into core modules of work, providing you with a solid grounding in the field
- A challenging but rewarding work environment where you can make a difference
- A value driven culture that focuses on the employee and their needs
- Positive work culture – holding an Investors in People Gold accreditation
To view the information on this role and how to apply, please click here
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Marina Tuck on firstname.lastname@example.org