We are currently recruiting for Volunteer Bicycle Mechanics to support regularly within our Portsmouth venue at St Margarets church, Portsmouth.
Hours for the venue at St Margarets are Wednesday afternoons, Thursday and Fridays
About Bicycle Recycling
Our passion is making cycling accessible to everyone. We know that cycling is healthy, fun and good for the environment but it can be expensive, especially if you don't know how to fix things or where to go for good quality parts and repairs.
Bicycle Recycling is run by people that enjoy cycling and want you to enjoy it too. That's why we:
- Only sell refurbished bikes that are fully serviced with a 90 day waranty
- Provide up front prices on all of our servicing options
- Offer maintenance courses so that you can be confident to do your own repairs
- Sell and use quality second hand parts, where possible to keep the costs down
- Support events and local charities that encourage cycling.
Bicycle Recycling was founded in 2010 and in 2012 teamed up with youth charity, Motiv8, to establish a social enterprise that could provide training and sustainable jobs for young people. Bicycle Recycling has 3 bike shops and 2 training workshops in Portsmouth and Gosport. Bicycle Recycling is a trading subsidiary (company number 08848765) wholly owned by Motiv8 South (registered charity 1069085). It employs qualified Mechanics who work alongside Apprentices, Trainees and Volunteers.
Volunteer Bicycle Mechanics will:
- Repair, check and service used bikes ready for customer sale
- Take responsibility for equipment and tools used
- Assist in the general running and maintenance of the centre
Additional tasks can include:
- Repair, check and service customer's bikes
- Provide an off site service for the repair, maintenance, collection and delivery of bikes
- Be customer service orientated, advising and communicating with our customers
- Prior knowledge of bike maintenance and repair is essential
- Cytech/Velotech certification or equivalent is desirable
- Be able to work independently but also understand when to ask for support and advice
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Be able to offer support and guidance to other volunteers in the team