About the job
Position Title: Youth Support Worker
Salary: £20,814 – £23,043 per annum (dependent on skills, experience and qualifications)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
What is the role?
Motiv8 is a vibrant local youth charity, which supports young people and their families. Our work takes place in the heart of the community, with teams based in Portsmouth, Havant, Gosport and Fareham. Motiv8 teams deliver a range of free services including; family support, youth mentoring, wellbeing provision, targeted group work, youth clubs, detached street based youth work, employability support and alternative learning. Our vision is to create safer communities where young people feel inspired and empowered to reach their potential, and thrive.
We are looking for an experienced Youth Support Worker for our vibrant Portsmouth team. The team deliver a range of services from our dedicated young people’s centre in Portsmouth, including young people’s mentoring support, family work, targeted group work and community based provision such as youth hubs and detached street based provision. You will be part of a community team, offering a varied programme of activities and opportunities to support young people’s personal, social and emotional development.
What does a day in the life of this role look like?
As a Youth Support Worker, you will be undertaking a wide variety of activities with young people and families. You will be part of a community team offering a varied programme of activities and opportunities to support young people’s personal, social and emotional development. Activities may include one to one support work, targeted group work (planning overseeing and delivering youth provision), community and social enterprise work (through street based detached and outreach provision alongside evening youth hubs) alongside providing youth participation activities.
What to expect:
Your work will be varied but you will be part of a strong and vibrant team. You will work under the management of the Services Manager Portsmouth and Skils Hub to provide a range of activities to young people aged 11 to 19 years both in and outside of the community venue. As noted you will be involved in providing a range of activities to both young people and also, where needed working with their parents to consolidate any work that has taken place within that family.
You need a driving licence and ideally your own vehicle to visit different locations within your day-to-day role.
Core hours are Monday to Friday 9.00am-17.00pm but, you may be required on occasion to work early mornings, evenings or weekends to accommodate community or client work.
What we are looking for
- Passion for supporting and empowering young people and families
- Creativity and solution focused thinking
- Respectful, honesty and integrity
- Ability to be adaptable, approachable and flexible
- High commitment to continuous professional practice and to continually look for ways to improve
- Be able to learn from experiences
- Be able to work collaboratively
Motiv8 is committed to equal opportunities, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate for the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
We would welcome applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including:
- black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
- those who identify as LGBTQ+
- those living with a disability.
What we offer:
In return for your hard work, we offer:
- Annual leave: 24 days for the first 5 years increasing to 27 days after 5 years and additional holiday for further long service
- Holiday purchase scheme to provide additional flexibility.
- Pension contribution of 3%
- Continued wellbeing and welfare support to staff, through regular supervision, appraisals, staff feedback and access to support networks and 24 hour counselling access through the company Employee Assistance Program.
- A comprehensive training package, to provide you with personal and professional development and to support your continuous professional development
- Thorough induction into core modules of work, providing you with a solid grounding in the field
- Job role progression routes through a company competency framework
- A challenging but rewarding work environment where you can make a difference
- A value driven culture that focuses on the employee and their needs
- Positive work culture – holding an Investors in People Gold accreditation
To apply for this role, please complete the supporting statement and monitoring form. Within this, it asks for you to also e mail a copy of your current CV
The closing date for this role is 5pm on 15 December 2023
Interviews will take place on 4 January 2024
If you have any queries regarding this role, please contact Marina Tuck firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safeguarding statement and pre-employment checks
At Motiv8, we are fully committed to ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of our clients at all times. As part of our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures, all of our employees and volunteers will be expected to comply. All successful applicants will be required to complete the following pre-employment screening checks:
- An identity check (photo ID)
- Receipt of a minimum of 2 references (one to be from most recent employer)
- Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK
- A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS check)